Wednesday, October 2, 2013

10 Ways Twitter has Made Me a Better Educator

Last summer I sat with a colleague outside a coffee shop and she introduced me to Twitter. Here was my previous knowledge of Twitter; zero, nothing, nada. I had heard the word Twitter and was under the impression that it was simply a way for people under 20 years old to broadcast every inane thought that popped into their heads.  I had so many questions but was afraid to ask.  Instead I scoffed at the idea of using Twitter professionally.  As my friend talked I became very anxious.  I was nervous.  I was scared.  Were people going to take me seriously if I tweeted anything?  Who should I follow?  Who in their right mind would ever follow me?  I thought that # was called pound, what is this “hashtag” she keeps talking about?  Then it occurred to me, I was turning into that person I often grumble about, you know, the one who is afraid of change.  I am proud to say that I gave Twitter a shot, and with support from experienced “tweeps”, it has truly changed my professional life.  By the way, you should follow me on Twitter @ginosangiuliano, I promise not to post too many inane thoughts.


  • Having one of my tweets “retweeted’ or “favorited’ gives me confidence
  • I am a big fan of education which means I actually enjoy reading about it
  • It has been the pot at the end of the rainbow filled with resources
  • I have developed friendships with people I’ve met on Twitter
  • I have learned an incredible amount about neighboring schools and districts
  • Twitter has provided me with a national perspective on education I was previously missing
  • Twitter has connected me with people who offer insight into content and grades I do not currently teach
  • My professional learning network has exploded, and as a result I have been given new and exciting opportunities I never imagined
  • As we think about global education, Twitter is an authentic way to have meaningful and professional dialogue with teachers around the world.  I also think that it’s kind of fun
  • Interacting with like-minded professionals is extremely rewarding and inspiring 

No comments: